Partner with UBC to share your expertise and impact a career today.
The School of Health and Exercise Science’s priority is to work with community partners to lead together in stimulating action for positive change. UBC’s School of Health and Exercise Sciences connects health professionals in the Okanagan by taking the learning out of the classroom, and into the community.
If your organization is involved in health, wellness and/or fitness, and you are interested in volunteers, we have engaged fourth-year Human Kinetics students who are keen to be placed with you.
Join the Practicum Program
Human Kinetic students are required to complete 40 hours of hands-on shadowing work under the guidance of a supervisor. Share you experience and expertise in your health, wellness, or
fitness organization with a knowledgeable fourth-year Human Kinetics student.
Each practicum student is required to complete a minimum of 40 hours of hands-on or shadowing volunteer work with a health-related organization. A supervisor from the organization works with the student to determine their role/tasks/responsibilities for the practicum. Beyond the 40-hour requirement, each student will research a topic related to the services provided by your organization, and create a document/fact sheet/brochure featuring this research for you to share with colleagues, clients etc. At the end of the experience, the practicum supervisor is asked to complete a one-page performance feedback form based on the student’s involvement in the practicum.
There are 3 terms each academic year where a new group of approximately 80 students are available for placements:
- Clinical rehabilitation settings with physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, kinesiologists, chiropractors, diagnostic technicians, dentists and dieticians.
- Sports organizations with physiotherapists, athletic trainers, physicians and strength and conditioning specialists
- Public and private educational settings with elementary and secondary students
- Fitness/sport and rehabilitation organizations working with individuals with special needs
- Health promotion settings with non-profit organizations
- Fitness organizations with exercise professionals
- Sport administration settings
“We have been privileged to be recipients of students from the Human Kinetics program at UBCO. The students are eager to apply what they are learning and excited to have a population to work…„