UBC Exercise, Kinesiology and Health Seminar Program
UBC Okanagan’s School of Health and Exercise Sciences present the UBC Exercise, Kinesiology and Health Seminar Program. The seminar program is a forum for critical academic discussion between students and faculty members from all disciplines.
The series is designed to expand knowledge about topics from the broad field of kinesiology and health studies for graduate students and faculty members. All visitors are welcome to attend the virtual series.
Upcoming Dates 2022/23
- Monday, October 17, 2022, 2:30-3:30 p.m. – RHS 260 ( In Person )
- Dr. Brendon Gurd, Queens University, Canada.
- He will be speaking on ” Individual responses to exercise training; exploring whether or not “non-responders” exist, how we would identify a “non-responder” with confidence, and what we would do once we’ve identified that someone is a “non-responder”.
- Monday, November 21, 2022, 2:30-3:30 p.m. – RHS 260 ( In Person )
- Dr. Mark Haykowsky, University of Alberta.
- Talk entitled “Mechanisms of Exercise intolerance in older breast cancer survivors: Similarities between heart failure and preserved ejection fraction“
- Monday, January 23, 2023, 2:30-3:30 p.m. RHS 257 ( In Person )
- Dr. Grant Handrigan, Universite de Moncton
- Talk entitled “Public persuasion in a pandemic – what’s said and what’s unsaid”
- Monday, February 27, 2023, 2:30-3:30 p.m. RHS 260 ( In Person )
- Dr. Kim Monden, University of Minnesota
- Talk entitled “Stakeholder Evaluation of the Canadian Spinal Cord Injury Physical Activity Guidelines: Barriers & Facilitators to Uptake and Dissemination in the United States”
- Monday, March 13, 2023, 2:30-3:30 p.m. RHS 260 ( In Person )
- Dr. Silvia Muceli, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden.
- Talk entitled “Neural interfacing: How to probe the spinal cord output via muscle recordings”
- Dr. Heather Gainforth, UBC Okanagan
- Dr. Kate Thomas, University of Otago
- Dr. Carrie Esopenko, Rutgers University
- Rick Hansen, Rick Hansen Foundation
- Dr. Jean Cote, Queen’s University
- Dr. Azadeh Yadollahi, University Health Network
- Dr. Erica Bennett, UBC Vancouver
- Dr. Maureen MacDonald,McMaster University
- Dr. Dan Lieberman, Harvard University
- Dr. E. Paul Zehr, University of Victoria
- Dr. Janelle Joseph, University of Toronto
- Dr. Corliss Bean, Brock University
- Dr. Janice Forsyth, Western University
- Dr. Jennifer Heisz, McMaster University
- Dr. Jordan Guenette, UBC
- Dr. Karla Galaviz, Emory University
- Tora Oliphant & Dr. Hélène Frohard-Dourlent, UBC
- Dr. Pascal Bernatchez, UBC
- Dr. Calvin Kuo, UBC
- Dr. Mark Rakobowchuk, Thompson Rivers University
- Dr. Geoff Power, University of Guelph
- Dr. Shane Sweet, McGill University
- Dr. Andy Lovering, Department of Human Physiology at the University of Oregon
- Dr. Isabel Gonzalez, Wilderness Medicine Fellowship Co-Director, University of California, Irvine
- Dr. Eve Valera, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
- Dr. Craig Crandall, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Centre
- Dr. Kathryn Sibley, Department of Community Health Studies, University of Manitoba
- Dr. Marcus Amann, School of Medicine, University of Utah
- Dr. Stephen Cheung, Department of Kinesiology, Brock University
- Dr. Jim Johnson, Department of Cellular and Phsyiological Sciences and Department of Surgery, UBC Vancouver