Practicum Placement Course FAQs
When can students register for this course?
Students can register when they are entering their fourth year of the degree program.
Can a student complete more than one practicum?
A student can complete up to 2 placements (6 credits total of HMKN 401 and HMKN 402) in their fourth year of study.
Is HMKN 401 a numerically graded course?
The course is graded non-numerically, on a pass/fail basis. There are several criterion measures in place for the course, and each criterion must receive a passing grade in order to pass the course.
How does HMKN 401 appear on a transcript?
A student will receive 3 upper level Human Kinetics credits once the course is passed, but the course will not factor into the student’s GPA.
What kind of placements are available for students?
Students have been placed in the following areas:
- Clinical rehabilitation settings with physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, kinesiologists, chiropractors, diagnostic technicians, dentists and dieticians.
- Sports organizations with physiotherapists, athletic trainers, physicians and strength and conditioning specialists
- Public and private educational settings with elementary and secondary students
- Fitness/sport and rehabilitation organizations working with individuals with special needs
- Health promotion settings with non-profit organizations
- Fitness organizations with exercise professionals
- Sport administration settings
Who do I contact for more information about the Community Placement Experience course?
The Placement Coordinator is Rebecca Frechette, who can be reached by email at email@example.com, phone at 250-807-9565 or drop by her office ART 337.